Bananas contain three natural sugars - sucrose, fructose and glucose combined with fiber.
A banana gives you an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy, which is why you will see top athletes eating them...did you spot them at Wimbledon a couple of weeks ago, eating their bananas during the match!
Did you know that just two bananas can provide you with enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout?
But energy isn't the only way a banana can help us keep fit. It can also help overcome or prevent a substantial number of illnesses and conditions, making it a must to add to our daily diet.
PMS: Forget the pills - eat a banana. The vitamin B6 it contains regulates blood glucose levels, which can affect your mood.
ANAEMIA: High in iron, bananas can stimulate the production of haemoglobin in the blood and so helps in cases of anemia.
BLOOD PRESSURE: This unique tropical fruit is extremely high in potassium yet low in salt, making it perfect to beat blood pressure So much so, the US Food and Drug Administration has just allowed the banana industry to make official claims for the fruit's ability to reduce the risk of blood pressure and stroke.
BRAIN POWER: 200 students at a school in Twickenham, England, were helped through their exams this year by eating bananas at breakfast, break, and lunch in a bid to boost their brain power. Research has shown that the potassium-packed fruit can assist learning by making pupils more alert.
CONSTIPATION: High in fiber, including bananas in the diet can help restore normal bowel action, helping to overcome the problem without resorting to laxatives.
HANGOVERS: One of the quickest ways of curing a hangover is to make a banana milkshake, sweetened with honey. The banana calms the stomach and, with the help of the honey, builds up depleted blood sugar levels, while the milk soothes and re-hydrates your system.
HEARTBURN: Bananas have a natural antacid effect in the body, so if you suffer from heartburn, try eating a banana for soothing relief.
MORNING SICKNESS: Snacking on bananas between meals helps to keep blood sugar levels up and avoid morning sickness.
MOSQUITO BITES: Before reaching for the insect bite cream, try rubbing the affected area with the inside of a banana skin. Many people find it amazingly successful at reducing swelling and irritation.
NERVES: Bananas are high in B vitamins that help calm the nervous system..
Overweight and at work? Studies at the Institute of Psychology in Austria found pressure at work leads to gorging on comfort food like chocolate and chips. Looking at 5,000 hospital patients, researchers found the most obese were more likely to be in high-pressure jobs. The report concluded that, to avoid panic-induced food cravings, we need to control our blood sugar levels by snacking on high carbohydrate foods every two hours to keep levels steady.
ULCERS: The banana is used as the dietary food against intestinal disorders because of its soft texture and smoothness. It is the only raw fruit that can be eaten without distress in over-chroniclercases. It also neutralizes over-acidity and reduces irritation by coating the lining of the stomach.
TEMPERATURE CONTROL: Many other cultures see bananas as a 'cooling' fruit that can lower both the physical and emotional temperature of expectant mothers. In Thailand , for example, pregnant women eat bananas to ensure their baby is born with a cool temperature.
When you compare a banana to an apple, it has FOUR TIMES the protein, TWICE the carbohydrate, THREE TIMES the phosphorus, five times the vitamin A and iron, and twice the other vitamins and minerals.. It is also rich in potassium and is one of the best value foods around So maybe its time to change that well-known phrase so that we say, 'A BANANA a day keeps the doctor away!'
Make sure you check out the recipes on here that have bananas in them! just type banana in the search box at the top of the page and you will see we have banana smoothie, banana loaf etc ......go see for yourself!! I have started putting a banana in my nutribullet everyday, makes it thicker and creamier.
Did you know you can freeze bananas! Once frozen you can put them in a blender and its like ice cream......the healthy version!!
Don't throw the banana peel away after you have eaten the banana!!!!!
The Advantages of Using Banana Peel :
1. Banana Peel on Mosquito Bites : One of the best and effective uses of banana peel is to rub or apply it on mosquito bite. Once applied, you will see that, it reduces the itching, irritation and swelling. It works better than the other medications or creams available in a drugstore.
2. Skin Treatments : Allergic to food? Well, what you can do is - rub the banana peel on the affected part of the body and allow it to slightly dry, then wash it off. You can use banana peel to treat skin condition such as acne. Rub or massage the inner portion of the banana peel into the affected area. You can apply it during night and the result can be seen within few days of application. It will not only soothe your skin but reduce the acne outbreaks as well.
3. Aids to Treatment of Wounds and Bruises : Rub the banana peel on the wound or bruises. Banana peel helps the wound and bruises to dry faster and also, prevents unwanted scar marks. Banana peel can speed up the natural healing process.
4. Aids to Treatment of Poison Ivy Rashes : Banana peel can soothe and reduce the itching and inflammation of the skin. Rub the inner portion of the banana peel on the affected area. Repeat the process as needed. This will help to reduce the outbreak of rashes and stop itching.
5. Aids to Treatment of Psoriasis : Psoriasis is the most common skin ailment. It is a skin condition that causes rough and scaly patches of skin. Those who suffer from psoriasis of the skin experiences inflammed lesions that cannot be treated with ordinary standard moisturizers, oils and creams or ointments. The inner portion of the banana peel has been used to treat such skin conditions and inflammations. Rub the banana peel on the affected part of the skin, you will see the results within few days and weeks. Rubbing the inside of the banana peel on the affected area for once or twice per day may help relieve and eliminate the symptoms of psoriasis and restore the skin back to its natural healthy state.
6. Aids to Treatment of Warts : Rub or massage the inner portion of the banana peel on wart affected area for about a week and notice the result. Banana peel can provide you relief and soothe the skin irritaion. The peels can be directly placed on warts and help speed up the process of healing and skin regeneration process. You can wrap tape around it for better results. This treatment has shown postive result for treating of planter's wart.
7. Banana Peels for Wrinkles : As we are already aware that banana peel contains many essential nutrients and minerals that can help to restore healthy normal skin. Apply across your forehead or sides of the cheeks to tighten up your skin. This treatment is also effective to reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
Now... are you off to the shop to stock up on bananas?