Food addiction is not simply a lack of willpower!
It is in fact associated with a compulsive and obsessive relationship to food.
Although binge eating is not a necessary part of this condition, very often people with this condition do in fact binge eat.
Food addicts can also be any size .... and ...... any age. It is however seen more in obese or overweight people.
So what are the symptoms of food addiction?
- feeling guilty about eating and overeating
- eating too much despite the harmful consequences
- when trying to cut down or stop eating certain foods, the desire for them is more intense
- depression, guilt, self-loathing, anxiety or significant distress caused by behaviour with respect to food and eating
- less ability to function effectively in daily life because of food and eating
- reduced satiety when eating
So now we come onto Substance Dependence
These are the criteria used to identify an addiction,
- a substance taken in a larger amount or for a longer period than intended
- persistent desire or repeated unsuccessful attempts to quit
- a lot of time taken to acquire, use, or recover from it
- social, occupational or recreational activities given up or reduced by it
- the substance use continues even though there is knowledge of adverse consequences
- tolerance...... there is an increase in amount but decrease in effect
- withdrawal symptoms.... substance taken to relieve withdrawal
It has been found during research that both food addiction and substance dependence trigger the same brain activity!!!!
Also the brain activity of obese people and substance dependent people is similar....... this led researchers to believe that obese people may be addicted to high calorie food!
But as we mentioned before people of any size can be addicted to food and research also showed that lean people with addictive eating patterns show similar neural responses to those of drug addicts.
So..... Are You Addicted To Food?
If you would like to take a food addiction assessment please email me at email@example.com
your email address will NOT be passed on to any third party!!
Please, once you have done the assessment I would love to hear how you scored, was it better than you thought or worse!